Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • Erica Schoonmaker
    Participant
    @ericaschoonmaker
    13 years, 1 month ago

Have any of you ever printed with 220 lb Crane Lettra on a Cylinder Press (such as a Vandercook)? I’m wondering if this paper is too thick to print with on such a press without smashing/breaking the wood type, metal type and/or polymer plates (all of which I would like to utilize in my printing).

Jessica C. White
    Participant
    @jessicacwhite
    13 years, 1 month ago

I’ve printed with this and other thick papers on cylinder presses. The trick to avoid smashing type is to adjust the amount of packing you’re using to accommodate the thickness of the paper. Remove the number of sheets of packing that add up to about the same thickness to your paper — I like to remove more than enough, then slowly add sheets until I find the right amount of pressure.

Erica Schoonmaker
    Participant
    @ericaschoonmaker
    13 years, 1 month ago

That’s what I was taught to do, but I guess because I’m still a newbie printer I’m afraid even without all the tympan it would be too thick. Maybe I worry for naught!

Sarah Almond
    Participant
    @sarahalmond
    13 years ago

I’ve used 220 on a Vandercook and smashed photopolymer pretty hard with no troubles. Definitely adjust the packing first, though!

Judith Berliner
    Participant
    @judithberliner
    13 years ago

Jessica’s advice is great. Another way to give it a try is  set up the press with an old plate, Once all your adjustments are made, put your new plate on. That way if there is a problem, you have not damaged a plate that you still need to use. It is always better to error on not enough packing and work your way up to the correct pressure you are looking for.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.