Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • Katrina Davenport
    Participant
    @katrinadavenport
    14 years, 3 months ago

The oil in the oil gun that came with my press has finally run out and I need to get more. What oil do you use on your press? I’ve heard everything from motor oil (no joke) to sewing machine oil. Any advice is appreciated!Thanks!

Kathryn Hunter
    Participant
    @kathrynhunter
    14 years, 3 months ago

Hi,I’m not sure what kind of press you use but my good ole Platen Press handbook, says to use SAE 30. That’s what I use on my C&P.best,Kathryn

Sarah Smith
    Participant
    @sarahsmith1
    14 years, 3 months ago

Hi Katrina,I use 3-in-1 oil. Works great. And it’s strange, but it actually smells nice too.http://www.3inone.com/Happy Printing!Sarah Smith

anemone letterpress
    Participant
    @anemoneletterpress
    14 years, 3 months ago

Hi Katrina,If you have a Heidelberg, use Mobil DTE Extra Heavy. It used to be called Mobil Vactra and is the one recommended in the manual.Good Luck!Carrie

Katrina Davenport
    Participant
    @katrinadavenport
    14 years, 3 months ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I have a C&P platen press.

Kseniya Thomas
    Keymaster
    @kseniya
    14 years, 2 months ago

We use heavy-duty gear oil from the auto parts store (SAE 90, I think), and lithium grease on some of the cams, on our c+ps.

J. Elizabeth
    Participant
    @jelizabeth
    14 years, 2 months ago

My favorite is a product called Tri-Flow. Its similar to 3in1 but lasts a lot longer. Its what I use on my bike and my sewing machine too.Never use WD-40. It can cause build up, attract dirt and particles and doesn’t last very long. WD-40 is great for cleaning the metal parts of your press because the waxy content coats and protects the metal from rust, but wipe it down and don’t use it to oil moving parts.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.