Kaisa Nichols-RussellParticipant@annkalmbach2 years, 11 months ago
The Art-in-Education Artist’s Book Grant is a residency awarded to two artists to create a new artist’s book and teach young people in WSW’s studios.
Our Art-in-Education program (AIE) is a model for arts education and operates in conjunction with the Kingston City School District. AIE provides a high quality arts experience by bringing students to a professional artist’s workspace and giving them concentrated time to learn printmaking, papermaking, and book arts.
Generally, the resident dedicates their first month to producing a limited edition artist’s book, which is hand-printed and bound in the studio. WSW can provide technical advice; training on new equipment, techniques, and materials; and production assistance. (You can read more about the artist’s book aspect here.)
During the second half of the residency, the artist works with young people in WSW’s studios, teaching one to two days/week for three to four weeks, and visiting the students twice in school. Studio space and equipment is reserved for students during program hours, but artists may work at any time outside of AIE.
This grant includes a stipend of $350/week for up to ten weeks, up to $750 for materials, up to $250 for travel within the Continental US, free onsite housing, and 24/7 studio access during non-AIE sessions.
This residency has a two-step jury process: artists submit their materials, then WSW applies to the appropriate funders.
Deadline*: November 15
Notification date: March 1
Residency length: 8-10 weeks
Residency occurs: the school year following application, October–December or January–April
*The digital portion of the application must be submitted by 11:59pm EST on November 15. The structural dummy must be postmarked no later than November 15.
Application must include:
- A current resume
- A brief description of your proposed project, including the media required. 200 word maximum
- A brief description of your experience working with students. 200 word maximum
- WSW’s materials budget form: use Google Sheets or download as an Excel doc or PDF
- Up to ten images of recent work (digital specifications here)
- An image script, which should include title, medium, dimension, and date of each image.
- A physical, structural dummy of your proposed book to demonstrate how it will be bound or function when handled. This mock-up does not have to be a finished piece, but it should represent the book’s actual size and include at least 1-2 fully realized spreads.
- The shipping form, which must be included in the mock-up mailing, so that we can match application materials, and determine return shipping procedures with each artist. Make sure that you download the PDF and open it locally on your computer. Changes will not be saved if you edit in your browser.
For more information or to apply click here: http://bit.ly/AIE-book
Log in to reply
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.