Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • Anonymous
    Inactive
    @
    11 years, 4 months ago

Hi Ladies!

I have an established stationery business that I have been trying to add letterpress to for years. Recently I found a Cook’s Victory 6×9 for sale on BriarPress that seems like a good machine – but I’ve never heard of them. Have no idea if the price is reasonable.

Does anyone have one of these? Printed on one? Any information would be appreciated. I have emailed with the seller who sent lots of information & more pictures. Here is the info from his ad:

Regrettably I have to sell my 6?x9? Cook?s Victor Press. This model is arguably one of the best tabletop?s out there. The press is in good condition and has been used by it?s former owner since 1945. I will include tympan and packing for the press. Rollers are used. Asking $1,850. Cash and pick up only. More pictures and details can be provided.

And his email response to my initial inquiry about more pictures & the condition of the rollers/machine:

Kerry,
    Thanks for your interest.
    I would say the rollers are in good/fair condition. One is better than the other but they work just fine. If you buy the press it might be a good investment to replace them. They have been on since I bought the press back in 2009. Unfortunately I don’t have extra’s at that size to sell, however, I might know someone local that does. They are all used but probably workable and if not good enough to buy for the cores.
    The blue tape on the handle has since been removed. I need to take more pictures but the press is currently at a machinist for a tune up on all bearings and joints. I try to  make sure that all the presses that I sell are in good working order before they leave. 
    There is also a weld on the bottom of the platen that you can view here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36967141@N04/5392181552/in/set-72157623324889914 When I purchased the press I was told that this weld has been there since before 1945 when the previous owner bought it. I have not notice any effect it has on the printing.
    The stand its on is just a metal stand with rollers. Over the past couple years I have been restoring presses and found it very useful. However if you needed a stand I would be willing to part with it. 
    This press really does a fantastic job and out of all the tabletop presses I have used/owned it is the easiest and most enjoyable to use. 
    If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
    Thoughts anyone? Thanks!!

Diana Keller
    Participant
    @dianakeller
    11 years, 3 months ago

Kerry,

Hello! Once the bug bites, you’re a goner! =) So I did a search on Briar Press and you should check this particular message post. It talks about the Kelsey Victor. From what I glanced at in the post, Kelsey purchased these presses from Cook- best of luck on whatever you decide!

http://www.briarpress.org/15060

Look at this link as well:  http://excelsiorpress.org/restored.presses/Louis/Victor/index.html#impression

Take Care,

Diana Keller

Sage Letterpress

Anonymous
    Inactive
    @
    11 years, 3 months ago

Diana,

Thanks so much! I have heard good things about the press, so I think I’m going to snatch it up! I am nervous, but super excited at the prospects!! I can’t wait to get it set up!

Best, 

Kerry

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.