Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • Jennifer
    Participant
    @jennifereng
    3 years, 2 months ago

Hello all,

I am recently the new owner of an old Black Ball Original Heidelberg Windmill letterpress and I couldn’t be more excited! It’s going to be a job to try and get this baby up and running, but it’s a challenge I’m eager to tackle. (I purchased this from a pressman who said it ran when he purchased it, but it hasn’t been used in at least a few years.)

I’m in the process of attempting to find the correct oil (or is it grease?) to use to lubricate the press, as the suggested oils in the manual are of course outdated:

• Shell Tonna B
    • Eagle R&0 Medium Heavy
    • Gargoyle Vacrta Extra Heavy

— I’ve heard that Mobil Vactra No. 3 is equivalent, but I am unable to find this under 5 gallon drums, which is quite a lot.

Are there any other oils recommended for this type of press? I’ve explored the web, and have been unlucky in my findings so far.

Thank you in advance for any insight you may have.

Graham Judd
    Participant
    @graham.judd
    3 years, 1 month ago

Hi Jennifer. Have you got your oil question answered? My thoughts.
    First, oil only, no grease on a heidelberg. Next, I just get standard motor oil for mine. The oils you listed would be fine but the main thing is that you oil the press regularly, and something like a 20/50 grade will keep it lubricated fine. My regularly is probably about once every 3-4 weeks.
    Graham

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.