Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • Renee Swigert
    Participant
    @reneeswigert
    11 years, 2 months ago

Hi Ladies!

This is my first post?forgive me if it’s not in the right spot. 😉

I am SO looking forward to being a part of this community!

I am on the hunt for my first letterpress! However, I’m not looking to open a print shop. I am a graphic designer, and run my own small design business, so I am only looking to print things I design for my clients.

My clients usually need anywhere from 50 pieces to 250 pieces max. I design business cards, note cards, post cards, and thank you notes?essentially, stationary pieces. Any larger pieces or runs, I would hire another shop to do for me. The biggest dimension I would ever want to print is 5×5 or MAYBE 3×8.

I thought a nice table top press would suit these needs? Do any of you gals have recommendations on what a first good press would be?

Renee 🙂

Jessica C. White
    Participant
    @jessicacwhite
    11 years, 2 months ago

Hi Renee,

The first presses that come to mind are the C&P Pilot or the Adana table-top platens. But it might be worth your while to dig a little deeper about what’s the best press for you, for now and one that you can continue using into the future. I’d suggest you take a look at this article at Letterpress Commons – http://letterpresscommons.com/acquiring-a-press/ – which takes a lot of variables into consideration. Good luck!

Jessica

Renee Swigert
    Participant
    @reneeswigert
    11 years, 2 months ago

That you very much; I will check out that website!

Tiffany Smith
    Participant
    @tiffanysmith
    11 years, 1 month ago

As another graphic designer using letterpress printing to expand her business, I’d recommend going for a C&P Pilot as well. Yes, it’s an investment of about $2500, which is a lot, but if you’re going to cough up that much for a press, get a Pilot instead of a Kelsey. You’ll get to love your press and then want to do more with it (as in bigger pieces), and a Pilot has a decent printable area and can be capable of a decent impression. 

Speaking of Pilots, this is an insanely good deal I just saw on Briar Press:

http://www.briarpress.org/33350

We own two Pilots, both “rescued” in varying condition, and are still in the process of cleaning and repairing them. Totally worth the investment.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.