Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • Aya
    Participant
    @thedarkstamper
    13 years, 6 months ago

Good evening, everyone!

I am VERY excited about the “new” Golding Pearl #3 I just acquired! It shipped yesterday and should be here by the end of next week.

My question is in regards to the appropriate type of surface protection for a press. What are you all using to protect your floor from your heavy, cast iron floor presses? I will be installing the new press into a craft room in my home, which recently had nice wood floors installed to it. Any advice on what type of protection mat/covering I should put on my wood floor to protect it from any scratches the press might make?

My husband and I plan to make a trip to Home Depot this week!  🙂

Thanks in advance!

-TDS

Darcie
    Participant
    @darcie
    13 years, 6 months ago

I have cork floors and I have my Golding on a small 3″ high platform that is on wheels. The wood platform is just large enough to hold my press. It has hard rubber wheels so it will not damage the cork floor. I have the wood piece varnished heavily so if I get a drop of oil I have a bit of time before I have to worry about it. I never have to worry about oil hitting my floor.I don’t tote my press all over the room, but I do occasionally like to pull it out a bit further and the wheels are awesome for that!

Kristina Hopkins
    Participant
    @kristinahopkins
    13 years, 6 months ago

when my press lived in my former home (a townhouse i rented with wood floors), i was very concerned about the damage it could potential cause and the money i would be charged for said damage. i knew i wanted to have a metal tray constructed for it, so i contacted a local sheet metal company to fabricate one for me…they did a fabulous job…creating me a big enough metal tray with three lipped edges (I did find that the edges were sharp and i went to the local auto parts store and bought some of that rubber stuff you put on the edges of your car doors to prevent damage if you were to open the door and hit the car next to you). below my metal tray, i have a piece of plywood cut to that exact size so you can’t even tell it’s there. when i moved, there was zero damage to the hardwood…plus it allowed me to be a little messy with my oiling of the press! good luck!

Aya
    Participant
    @thedarkstamper
    13 years, 6 months ago

Thanks, Darcie! My husband and I found a “wood moving platform” at Home Depot for $20. Unfortunately, they were out of stock, but we’re hoping this is the direction we need to go.

Aya
    Participant
    @thedarkstamper
    13 years, 6 months ago

Wow – great idea, Kristina! Thanks for the tip!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.