Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • Mimi
    Participant
    @Mimitini
    6 years, 3 months ago

Hi!

I am really new to the letterpress game. I recently bought a C&P 8 x 12 press. The press was running the first time I tried it and got everything set up. When I tried it this week, the motor turns on, but the belt and the press doesn’t turn anymore. I have oiled every oil spot I could find. I was hoping someone can lend some expertise to help me troubleshoot this issue. Thank you so much in advance.

Mimi

Meghan
    Participant
    @meghan
    6 years, 1 month ago

Two thoughts:

1. Check to see if the pulley is turning.

2. If not, check to see if the motor shaft itself is turning.

Lots of non-motor possibilities: the pulley may be stripped, the belt may be stretched, or the motor may have shifted, releasing tension on the belt, or (less likely) may have shifted in such a way as to bind.

If the problem is with the motor, it’s a little more difficult to diagnose: could be a problem with bearings, the shaft could be seized, or about a dozen other things. If the motor is on but the shaft won’t spin, UNPLUG IT, then try manually turning the shaft to see if it is seized. If it won’t turn, it likely has bad bearings, dirt in the bearing/slipring, or is otherwise damaged. If it does spin by hand, you’re likely just binding due to the motor rotating on its plate. (Less likely, but possible.)

Let us know!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.