Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • Judy
    Participant
    @judy
    9 years, 7 months ago

Hi Ladies!

I’m joining this community because I’ve just acquired a Hohner Press. 

I’m not super familiar with the trade, other than my fond appreciation and the one workshop I took on it last weekend, but I’m wanting to know everything and start printing! I’m a graphic designer and want to expand my freelance offerings.

First, what’s your advice on cleaning up an old machine and finding parts for a hard to find press?

Second, what are your favorite sites for ink, letters, parts, etc.?

Third, any other advice you have for a super newb like me?

Thanks!! I’ll be posting pictures of it soon. I get her Saturday!

Susan Carter Morgan
    Participant
    @susancartermorgan
    9 years, 7 months ago

I am fairly new at this, too, but I’ve had great success with John Barrett (Letterpress Things) and NA Graphics. I visited John in MA a few weeks ago. For anyone close by, it is WELL worth a visit for all “things letterpress.” http://www.letterpressthings.com/ (Of course, briarpress.org is also a great list to follow.) Have fun!

Cory W. James
    Participant
    @corywjames
    9 years, 6 months ago

I just returned from a visit at Letterpress & Things with John Barrett. He was very friendly, informative and found some great deals on parts. For materials I use Concord Engraving exclusively. They make mounted mag plates and polymer plates.They have the lowest prices, fastest turnaround and are very easy to work with. 

Samantha Olson
    Participant
    @samanthaolson
    9 years, 6 months ago

there’s a lot of information on briarpress.org. I would recommend checking the site out for tips on press clean up and general printing information. If you are on the east coast, Concord Engraving is the cheapest for photopolymer and mag dies. if you are on the west coast, crown flexo graphics? they are also the cheapest I’ve found.

Judy
    Participant
    @judy
    9 years, 6 months ago

Yeah. I’ve been on briarpress a lot. I need to figure out how to find a chase for my machine. It’s missing that and rollers.

Judy
    Participant
    @judy
    9 years, 6 months ago

Here’s my Hohner.

Bill Hannegan
    Participant
    @billhannegan
    9 years, 6 months ago

A real beautiful press!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.