Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • Kirsty Armstrong
    Participant
    @kirstyarmstrong
    12 years ago

Hi! I’ve just gotten a 15×10 C&P and am starting to run it. It came with many cans of old ink. No idea how old as the labels are hard to read. Can I use this ink? I’m thinking it’s oil? Also can you recommend a good place to start with buying ink. I was looking at the starter set from Boxcar but it’s a little rich for my blood. It’s a hobby press at the moment so I just need ink to practice but I would like it to look nice.

Camille Robin
    Participant
    @camillerobin
    12 years ago

You should be able to use the ink you have. If it is oil based there will be a crisp, hard top on the ink. Just remove it with your ink knife and the ink under it will be fine. If it is rubber based there might be a some skin on the top if it is as old as you say. Same thing just remove the top skin and you are good to go. Good luck and happy printing!

Kirsty Armstrong
    Participant
    @kirstyarmstrong
    12 years ago

Thanks Camille!

Nancy Hill
    Participant
    @nancyrhill
    12 years ago

When we bought our C&P it came with about 50 cans of ink – some rubber based, some oil. We are still using some of it today… when you open the can – you can tell if it’s usable…just get under the hardened top (if possible) and if the ink there is still soft – you can use it.

Kirsty Armstrong
    Participant
    @kirstyarmstrong
    12 years ago

Thanks Nancy. I’m going to start going through the ink this weekend!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.