Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • Ink Petals Press
    Participant
    @inkpetalspress
    11 years, 6 months ago

I have been using Photopolymer plates for years. I’m really happy using them, until I have to re-print. Recently I have been contemplating using magnesium plates for those I know I will print again in the future. I’m torn mostly because of cost. 

The 2 most frustrating and the most time consuming things when I re-printing would be;

1. Keeping the plate down in some areas. I wouldn’t want to re-stick the plates every time I re-print.

2. Re-printing a job that has either 2 or more colors, I would of cut up the plate(s) (I would of ganged artwork up to save on plate costs) and to figure out all the pieces or even lining up all the cut up pieces, doesn’t work out as well the second time around.

So, is the answer to invest in Magnesium plates? What is your preference between the 2 different type of plates when doing re-prints? Or any other suggestions?

Danielle Bliss
    Participant
    @daniellebliss
    11 years, 6 months ago

I prefer magnesium because you get a nicer impression, and they last longer. But they can get corroded over time so you have to take a wire brush to them and spray them with cooking spray.

You can buy more adhesive by the roll to apply to the backs of the photopolymer plates. You just have the peel the old stuff off and put a new layer on.

Danielle Bliss
    Participant
    @daniellebliss
    11 years, 6 months ago

The magnesium can also be hard to register so for jobs 3 or more colors I usually use photopolymer.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.