Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • Jessica Molnar
    Participant
    @jessicamolnar
    13 years, 3 months ago

Hello everyone,

I’ve been printing for several years now and I’ve done a lot of wedding invitations during my apprenticeship and for friends.  I’ve only recently begun receiving inquiries from potential clients that I haven’t met yet and I feel a bit stumped about how to proceed.  During my apprenticeship, I never dealt with clients and printing for friends is so casual… 

Is there a formula/procedure/time line that you find works well?  My new client is planning a wedding in June 2012 in Mexico.  That’s so far away!  After the initial inquiry and she decides she want to work with me…what’s the next step?

Thank you in advance, any and all advice is SO APPRECIATED!!

Jessica

Alexandra Rineer
    Participant
    @alexandrarineer
    13 years, 3 months ago

Hey Jessica!

Congrats on this big step in growing your business! BW Letterpress is still a relatively new business, so we’re still getting the hang of some things as well, but here are some tips and things that we’ve learned about early interaction with clients:

-A sample book is SO helpful in laying out your work. It lets the client see your style, the type of things you’ve printed before, and may even give them some inspiration.

-Ask what their budget is right upfront. This avoids possible awkward situations later when they’re dreaming of a 4-color, 6-piece suite and realize that what they can really afford is a 2-color invite with a reply postcard.

-Know what corners you can ‘cut’ to help them get what they’re dreaming of. For instance, suggest doing supplemental pieces [rsvp, map, etc.] in 1 color, use kraft envelopes instead of matching stock, etc. Let them know that if they are willing to be flexible, great design can still be had at an affordable rate. 

Good luck in your endeavors!

Alexandra

Belle & Whistle Press

Philadelphia, PA

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.