Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • Robin Beth
    Participant
    @robinbeth
    14 years, 12 months ago

Does anyone have the platemakeing equipment and make their own plates? I would love to here what is involved in the process and if it is worth making the investment. Is it difficult? I have spent so much money on plates, that I probably could have bought several sets of platemaking equipment by now.

christie
    Participant
    @christie1
    14 years, 11 months ago

I print out of the San Francisco Center for the Book (sfcb.org) and they have a plate making machine. I’ll try to give a quick over view so hope it makes sense.It involves starting with having the design put on film (clear area is the design, the rest is black). I have a printing place that does this for me, for about $15. Then at the center, I place it and the plate material in a box that seals and then a light exposes the film to the light. After that there is a special cleaning machine, that basically lightly brushes off the non-exposed areas. The plate then goes back into the light machine, and it hardens the polymer even more. That’s basically it. No chemicals besides what’s on the plate, but similar to developing photographs.On the other hand, since my time is limited, I go to a local guy to get mine made, they don’t cost too much more.let us know what you decide to do.

christie
    Participant
    @christie1
    14 years, 11 months ago

I just stumbled upon a great blog post about this, better than my rough description.http://threeredhens.blogspot.com/2008/02/letterpress-step-3-making-photopolymer.html

Mirka Hokkanen
    Participant
    @mirkahokkanen
    14 years, 4 months ago

I also have a blog post on building your own light box: http://mirka-h.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-built-lightbox.htmlI use a 1/4″ thick glass, a rigid backer board and clamps to expose plates with at home.Hope that’s helpful.Mirka

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.