Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • Tatiana Shannon
    Participant
    @tatianashannon
    9 years, 4 months ago

Hi Guys

I?m a papermaker and printmaker trying to expand my little handmade paper shop into the realm of letterpress stationary and little flyers/posters (I?m also talking to someone on Craigslist for a little 5X8 Kelsey in good shape for the stationary work).

While searching through ebay?s listings I found a Morgan Line-O-Scribe M711, being auctioned off that seems (from what internet research I?ve done) to be going for a reasonable price.

Link here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Morgan-Line-O-Scribe-M711-Letterpress-Sign-Machi…

I have some experience with Vandercooks and little tabletop platens, from a couple of letterpress classes I took in college. However, I don?t really have any experience with Line-O-Scribes, and don?t really know what I should be looking for in terms of a useable press. From comparisons with pictures of other folks Morgan?s that I found online- this press seems to be missing the cover that goes over the roller. Is that necessary towards the good operation of this press?

Thanks Again
    Tara

Susan Carter Morgan
    Participant
    @susancartermorgan
    9 years, 4 months ago

Hi Tara,

I have a Morgan and a Golding Pearl #1 tabletop–I’d be happy to talk to you. The photo on ebay doesn’t look too promising to me, but I have no idea how much effort it would take to bring it up to speed. The roller looks damaged to me. That said, I have only been printing a year or so. I paid $425 for my Morgan, which is in great shape. Others might have better information for you. Good luck!

Tatiana Shannon
    Participant
    @tatianashannon
    9 years, 4 months ago

Hi Susan

Unfortunately I got outbid at the last minute on ebay for the Morgan (kind of bummed out by that I will admit). On a happier note, I found a nice little Kelsey 5X8 on ebay for a decent price and have purchased it (its missing the rollers but nothing else- and even has some of the original paint left). Barring disastrous shipping issues I shall soon be in possession of my first press!

Susan Carter Morgan
    Participant
    @susancartermorgan
    9 years, 4 months ago

Great, it sounds like it will work out!

Camille Robin
    Participant
    @camillerobin
    9 years, 4 months ago

Hi Tara,

Congratulations on your new Kelsey!!! I love my 5×8 Kelsey. I purchased my rollers from Todd. They print perfect, have locking trucks, and the customer service is awesome! 

http://www.toddspresstime.com/

Tatiana Shannon
    Participant
    @tatianashannon
    9 years, 4 months ago

Hi Camille

Thank you so much for the link- I have been looking around for where to buy rollers and these guys definitely look good.

Tatiana Shannon
    Participant
    @tatianashannon
    9 years, 4 months ago

Yes indeed- I am very happy about the little Kelsey. 5 X 8 is a little small- but its big enough to handle business cards, greeting cards, and most stationary. Eventually I’ll probably need to expand to a slightly larger press, but this is a good starter machine from everything I’ve been able to determine – and with a little practice I should be able to manage good registration with my little machine.

I have even (tentatively) decided on a name for my press 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.