Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • Susan H Sims
    Participant
    @susanhsims
    10 years, 11 months ago

Hi all,

I have a Kelsey Excelsior Model-F 9×13 Press, that I am in the midst of refurbishing. What is the best way to paint this press?

The press was picked up sandblasted, and starting to oxidize as bare metal tends to do. We are currently using a dremel to remove the existing rust.

The goal is to paint it right the first time, and not have to revisit this process in a year or two. How do I prep the press for paint, removing metal dust/residue and make sure the paint will adhere? What kind of paint works best? Also, any advice on disassembling the press for paint?

Thank you in advance!

Bill Hannegan
    Participant
    @billhannegan
    10 years, 11 months ago

I am a professional painter and have painted a 12 x18 C&P. I would use a wire brush or sand paper to take off the oxidation. Wiping the metal down with lacquer thinner will take off any oil that might cause the paint not to adhere. Then I would prime with an oil-based primer specifically made for iron and finish with a high gloss oil enamel. I would use a very soft brush made of china bristle and ox hair. If I can help, feel free to call my cell: 314.315.3779

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.