Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
  • Sarah Smith
    Participant
    @sarahsmith
    13 years, 2 months ago

Hello Ladies. I am new to the site, but I’m so glad I found it!

I have been printing for around 6 months on a Kelsey 3×5. I took a course in letterpress using a Chandler and Price Pilot after I first purchased my press. While I love my press , I always viewed it as a “starter” press. I would like to purchase a larger press so that I can print invitations and announcements as a side job/hobby. Specifically, I wanted a pilot, but I  have had little luck finding one. In the newspaper, I found a Chandler and Price 12×18 an hour away from my home.  I’m in love with the idea of owning a larger press, but I’m concerned that this press is going to be too big (3×5 to 12×18 is a pretty large jump).

I have 4 main questions/concerns:

1. If I decide to buy the press, I would definatley take a course on how to properly use it, but like I said, right now, I’m wondering if it is too big for me. In your opinion, is it better take “baby steps” and work your way up to a larger press, or should I “dive in” to this new adventure?

2. Additionally, the press needs a cleaning and maybe some other work. It has been sitting for many years and has some rust. I’m an engineering graduate student, so at this point I’m not sure I’m able to put in the necessary time that will be required to get the press running. Any thoughts on the time needed for restoration would be appreciated.

3. I have tried to attach the pictures that the seller emailed me to show you the press. I know that prices vary depending on location, but if you wanted to take a stab at what a fair price would be for a press requiring this much work, I’d appreciate it.

4. While I’m in school, I don’t have a lot of time to print. I don’t mind working on the press on the weekends and I actually think it would be a nice break from work/school. Do you think if my  boyfriend and I are able to work on the press on the weekends that we are better off getting a “fixer upper” for a good price that I can print with after I graduate in december or should I buy a restored press later when I’m able to print more regularly.

I’m looking at the press next weekend any tips suggestions or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Elaine
    Participant
    @elaine
    13 years, 1 month ago

i say take it before someone else does – esp if it’s a good price…

That’s my personal opinion because you may never find one close to you if you pass it up.

No regrets – DO IT. and invest time later.. I love letterpress and if i find one for the right money and location i would prob do it even if i don’t have time (right now that is)….

Camille Robin
    Participant
    @camillerobin
    13 years, 1 month ago

Hi Sarah,Did you buy this press? It is an old style C&P, you can tell because the fly wheel has curved spokes. The serial number should be on the upper left hand side of the bed, which you can use to date it. It was probably made in the late 1800’s, early 1900’s…yes, 100 years old. I have two of them, one with a treadle and one with a motor and clutch. Message me and I will be happy to answer all the questions you may have. Best regards and happy printing!

Sarah Smith
    Participant
    @sarahsmith
    13 years, 1 month ago

I haven’t bought the press yet. I am going to look at it in person tomorrow. I am really hoping I can get it, but the seller and I haven’t discussed a price and her ad said “make an offer”. I discovered it last week and asked her to let me know if anyone else expressed interest so I could look it sooner, but I haven’t heard from her, so I’m hoping I’m the only one who’s called her. If so, hopefully it will give me some more bargaining power.

I’d like to get it for the best price I can, but I also want to be fair. Do you have any suggestions about what a fair price would be?

Also, it comes with a motor (I don’t know if it works), but initially, I’d like to run it with a foot treadle. I heard that in order to operate with a food treadle you need to have a crank shaft. Is the shaft the only thing I should look for when trying to determine if I can use a treadle?

Thanks for your help. I was nervous before, but your and Elaine’s responses have made me excited!

Sara McNally
    Participant
    @saramcnally
    13 years, 1 month ago

12×18 is a MASSIVE press. I learned on an 8×12, and was considering buying a 10×15, but found it too big. Please be realistic about whether or not you’ll be comfortable printing on it, and keep in mind that you’ve got several hundred dollars to move it, and several hundred (up to a thousand) to get it print ready. From the photo it looks like every bit of it has rust – this will be months of full time work to get it ready to print. My advice would be to hold out for a press that’s smaller and in better shape.

Kseniya Thomas
    Keymaster
    @kseniya
    13 years, 1 month ago

I cut my platen teeth on a 12×18 NS. (The platen teeth? They’re way in the back!) At first it was really intimidating (I am 5′ tall, for the record), but time and standing on a small box really helped me master this press. Now a 10×15 is my workhorse, and my 8×12 feels like a toy!

The rust may not be a big deal–a vinegar-soaked rag will take it off, as you know. But look and see if the iron is pitted from rust or otherwise shows signs of brittleness or weakness.

To see how sound the press may be for printing, close it, grab the platen with both hands and try to move it. There should be little or no play or wiggle. If there is, or if the platen shifts markedly back and forth, I might reconsider purchasing this press as its a sign of serious wear or broken-ness. I’d also take a look at the throw-off lever, chase hook, and everything else to check for breaks or welds. Welds may not be a big deal either, if they were done well. Turn it over once or twice and listen for clunks or bumps, and then look for the source of the noise.

If it’s not in a basement, I might offer $500 as a starting point.

Camille Robin
    Participant
    @camillerobin
    13 years, 1 month ago

Sarah,from the picture it’s hard to tell how much rust there is or if the press has been painted in the past. It looks like the pulley for the motor is there (draped on the inside of the curved flywheel). Follow the shaft (inside the press) from that flywheel to the gear side (right hand side of picture), look to see if in the middle of the shaft there is a U shape…if so then you can get a treadle for it. If it is straight you can only use a motor. Keep in mind that it takes eight kicks (treadle pushes) for one impression. As Kseniya posted, take the belts, chase, and other things piled on the press off of it. Roll the press over by hand, then roll it over again but this time on impression. Grab the platen and try to rock it back and forth when it is closed up. You don’t want it to move or the bearings could be worn. Make sure the ink disc turns (watch the pawl on the underside). Look for breaks/welds. You will need to purchase rollers and trucks (a couple of hundred $$) if there are old rollers the cores can be reused. It looks like there are two chases, one in the press and one sitting on the feed table. Bring a rag and an oil can with 30 weight non-detergent motor oil or at least a bottle of 3-in-1 oil, to give the press a drink. You need to decide what your budget is for a press and don’t let your heart rule your checkbook…easy to buy, hard to sell. Don’t forget the moving cost, which could be as much as the press or more….is it in a basement, a garage, is it on a pallet? Where are you going to put it? Do you have access a truck with a lift gate, tie downs/straps, etc?

Sara McNally
    Participant
    @saramcnally
    13 years, 1 month ago

This is super good information for Sarah, Camille. We just moved our 8×12, and it was a huge investment of $$, people helping, and long hours derusting. But it’s TOTALLY worth the work if it’s the right press.

Camille Robin
    Participant
    @camillerobin
    13 years, 1 month ago

Sarah,

Check out this web site from a recent post http://ladiesofletterpress.ning.com/forum/topics/moving-print-shop?…

BTW I love both my OS C&P’s you can contact me directly by email camillerobin@frontiernet.net  

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.