Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • Fritz Swanson
    Participant
    @fritzswanson
    11 years, 2 months ago

Hi, everyone!

I am struggling with an historical question. Can anyone point me to some resources about the early history of type cases? I’ve consulted Pryor’s HISTORY OF THE CALIFORNIA JOB CASE, and of course I have read Moxon. But I wonder if anyone out there has some citations that talk about the earliest decisions about the lay of the case. I am especially interested in how the lower case lay was arrived at. 

I am interested in letter counting practices in general, and I think there is a story here. If you have any info on letter counting in general (sources on Gematria, for example) I’d be open to that as well.

Thanks!

Fritz

Amelia Fontanel
    Participant
    @ameliafontanel
    11 years, 2 months ago

Hello,

I have always gone back to Alembic Press’s Typecase Lay Selection: http://www.alembicpress.co.uk/Alembicprs/SELCASE.HTM

Also I believe Harry Carter’s A View of Early Typography: Up to about 1600 has some background on case layout. Updike’s History of Printing Types would be my third go-to book.

Cheers,

Amelia

cary.rit.edu

Fritz Swanson
    Participant
    @fritzswanson
    11 years, 1 month ago

Thanks! RIT, as always, is the fount of all typographic wisdom. Caxton’s case lay is CRAZY!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.