Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • Rachel Kopel
    Participant
    @rachelkopel
    7 years, 6 months ago

TYMPAN

I am just getting my press set up and I am looking for some guidance on cutting the tympan and packing. Has anyone found any online tutorials or videos they can recommend?

The press came with roll of tympan pieces that are all cut on one end at an angle (see photo), and I am feeling stuck not sure which end is up or how to proceed.

PACKING

What type of paper should I use for packing? Does it matter?

GRIPPERS

There is one gripper missing form the press and my husband was going to make a second one for me. Is this necessary? I don’t recall ever printing n a C&P with grippers before. 

Thanks in advance for any and all help and advice!!!

Arie Koelewyn
    Participant
    @ariekoelewyn
    7 years, 6 months ago

Not sure on the tympan…mine is on a roll and I cut it off square. Not sure if it matters as long as the tympan covers the area you’re printing.

Pressboard is the best packing but it is expensive. Manila file folders work well for me. they come in two thicknesses. If I need a bit more thickness, a sheet or two of smooth paper for the copier goes in between or underneath the folder.You want a fairly hard packing normally.

You are unlikely to need grippers unless you are printing large solids and the paper wants to stick to the form. Unless I’m doing some stenciling I usually leave them off as they get in the way when cleaning. Grippers also have a distressing tendency to smash gauge pins and even type.

I use both 8×12 and 10×15 C&Ps regularly at home and the university.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.