Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
  • Jessica C. White
    Participant
    @jessicacwhite
    11 years, 4 months ago

After years of building up linoleum blocks to type high with boards and paper, I’ve discovered that Graphic Chemical & Ink sells them already mounted at type high! Maybe everyone already knew about this but me?

https://www.graphicchemical.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=164&cat=Linoleum+Blocks

Ren Vasiliev
    Participant
    @renvasiliev
    11 years, 4 months ago

Didn’t know it! Thanks!

Katie Nealon
    Participant
    @katienealon
    11 years, 4 months ago

Thanks so much for this tip!! Had no idea and was getting super frustrated 

Val Lucas
    Participant
    @vallucas
    11 years, 4 months ago

Unless they’ve changed it, they’re not really type-high- I ordered some and they are the standard mounted grey stuff- about 3/4 inch high. Dick Blick also advertised type-high blocks, which were the same 3/4 inch, and I called and expressed my extreme disappointment with their advertising. So, if you’ve ordered them, measure! And, if they really are type-high, let me know so I can get some too 😉

If you’re working on wood art-boards.com sells plank and end-grain maple boards that are absolutely 100% type-high.

Jessica C. White
    Participant
    @jessicacwhite
    11 years, 4 months ago

Argh. So annoying, but thanks for letting us know. I ordered a few blocks, but they haven’t arrived yet. And thanks for the note about art-boards.com!

Val Lucas
    Participant
    @vallucas
    11 years, 4 months ago

It’s possible they’ve changed! here’s hoping 😉

Katie Nealon
    Participant
    @katienealon
    11 years, 4 months ago

crossing fingers! and toes

Danielle Chargo
    Participant
    @daniellechargo
    11 years, 4 months ago

Dick Blick Art Supply sells both the mounted and unmounted variety.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-battleship-gray-linoleum/

Even with the mounted ones, you may have to do some make-ready to make them type high, but I do think it works a bit better than the unmounted variety. 

Patti Montgomery
    Participant
    @pattimontgomery
    11 years, 4 months ago

I have used linoleum on both my vandercook 4 and chandler price 10 x 15 for years. I found the easiest thing for me is to use unmounted linoleum and secure it to a wooden base with rubber cement. I reuse the wooden base on all linocut projects and peel off the linoleum to store it. I start with the old gummed-up base, put a layer of rubber cement on the linoleum and let it air dry for a few minutes while I get the ink ready. This leads to a nice, positionable hold. Although it is not as scientific as it could be, the makeready has been consistent throughout the years. I use packing under the linocut and wood base to make the assembly

type high and try to leave the rest of my packing alone. I probably could do better with a nice metal base and some good note taking, but it has worked well for me.

Ren Vasiliev
    Participant
    @renvasiliev
    11 years, 4 months ago

Just got my blocks from Graphic Chemical. They are exactly the same Speedball brand blocks as can be found anywhere, 7/8″ high, not type high. Crap.

Jessica C. White
    Participant
    @jessicacwhite
    11 years, 4 months ago

Sorry about the bad info. I got my blocks too, and at least the maple plank block really is type high. However, they are getting them from http://www.art-boards.com and marking them up slightly.

Val Lucas
    Participant
    @vallucas
    11 years, 4 months ago

ugh false advertising and reselling! it’s good to know the original source for some of this stuff, though 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.