Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
  • Paper Schmaper
    Participant
    @krissy
    14 years, 1 month ago

Hi Ladies,

I believe I threw my platen out of wack this last weekend by messing with my screws since I was having a serious inking problem. I’ve redone my rails to build them up again to the correct height, taken all my platen bolts to hardly touch the platen and will try an additive in case it is the ink. However, I am positive I need to re-level the platen and the person I used to borrow the furniture and type to do this has sold everything off. I use a Box Car Base and photopolymer plates 100% of the time, so didn’t want to purchase a bunch of type and furniture. Would any of you have any other ideas for leveling or be able to sell the appropriate amount to me?
    Thanks in advance!
    Krissy

Camille Robin
    Participant
    @camillerobin
    14 years, 1 month ago

Hi Krissy,I can help you. What kind of press do you have and what size is the platen? Email camillerobin@frontiernet.net or 612-616-0512.

Paper Schmaper
    Participant
    @krissy
    14 years, 1 month ago

Hi Camille,That’s great news! I just sent you an email.Thanks,Krissy

Kseniya Thomas
    Keymaster
    @kseniya
    14 years, 1 month ago

If you haven’t solved this already, you might check to make sure that the base hasn’t worked up from uneven quoin tightening, causing the inking to be heavier on the side that’s higher up in the chase. Do you have a level surface for locking up?

Paper Schmaper
    Participant
    @krissy
    14 years, 1 month ago

I do have a level surface, and checked that when I was all inked up. I know there is a thing as “over-tightening” as well… I tried a few things to no avail. I will be leveling this weekend. Thanks so much 🙂

davina farinola
    Participant
    @davinafarinola
    13 years, 6 months ago

Hi was checking out your post and am interested in the process for leveling out the platen. Any chance you could give a quick description of how its done? – davina

Camille Robin
    Participant
    @camillerobin
    13 years, 6 months ago

http://www.apa-letterpress.com/T%20&%20P%20ARTICLES/Press%20&%20Presswork/Leveling%20the%20platen.htmlDavina go to this web site to learn how to level the platen on your press.

Paper Schmaper
    Participant
    @krissy
    13 years, 6 months ago

you’re so quick Camille! yes- that website is really helpful.just remember, not all type is equal. some of that old stuff could be worn down creating the unlevel look when adjusting. also remember, when adjusting- just a hair of adjustment could be all that is needed! these old machines are tricky, but that’s what makes them fun!

davina farinola
    Participant
    @davinafarinola
    13 years, 2 months ago

Bit of an old thread but simple question, when leveling the platen by adjusting the screws, if I have an un-packed platen, should you aim for good deep impression or just a ‘kiss’ and rely on the platen packing to gain a deep impression after its leveled? – have been debating with father!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.