Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • Jessica C. White
    Participant
    @jessicacwhite
    12 years, 8 months ago

I’m wondering if there’s a name for the metal bar on the press bed of a flatbed cylinder press, on the carriage side (left side), that you lock up your form against. Is it also called a lockup bar? I’ve also heard the lockup bar called a ‘deadline’ – anyone know more about this?

kelly mcmahon
    Participant
    @kellymcmahon
    12 years, 8 months ago

Are you talking about the “spacer” bar at the head of the bed?  The one that prevents you from smashing your form with the grippers? If so, I’m not sure what that’s called.

The bar at the end of the bed (that makes a fourth “side” of the bed) is a lockup bar if it’s spring loaded, or a deadbar if it’s one that’s dropped in place (and doesn’t expand from side to side).  Deadbars sometimes have little nubs on the side, that fit into grooves in the rails.  Or they can sit against two pins at the very foot of the bed.  The line incised on the bed is called the deadline, as I was taught.

Jessica C. White
    Participant
    @jessicacwhite
    12 years, 8 months ago

In case anyone else has been wondering, I just found out from Paul Moxon (of the amazing Vanderblog) that it’s called a ‘head dead bar’.

Jessica C. White
    Participant
    @jessicacwhite
    12 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for the extra info, Kelly! It makes so much more sense to me now, knowing that the line is called a deadline, not the bar!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.