Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
  • allison bozeman
    Participant
    @allisonbozeman
    14 years, 4 months ago

anyone have a suggestion for pre-gummed or sticker like paper for printing wine labels and/or bookplates? i’m on the hunt. of course, for bookplates the paper would have to be acid-free/archival. i have made labels in the past by printing on standard paper and then running them through a xyron to apply sticky-back. maybe there’s a better way to do this?

kelly mcmahon
    Participant
    @kellymcmahon
    14 years, 4 months ago

Mohawk makes a stickyback paper in the Superfine line, and I think Neenah has one, too.

allison bozeman
    Participant
    @allisonbozeman
    14 years, 4 months ago

awesome, thanks. i’ll check into it asap.

Kseniya Thomas
    Keymaster
    @kseniya
    14 years, 3 months ago

Strathmore too!

allison bozeman
    Participant
    @allisonbozeman
    14 years, 3 months ago

I think Mohawk owns Strathmore. … Went to the website and look what I found:MOHAWK SUPERFINE LABELSMOOTH, SOFTWHITE, 60 text, (89 gsm), 8.5×11, (216×279) 100-sheet package $8.99STRATHMORE WRITING LABELWOVE, RECYCLE BRIGHT WHITE, 70 text, (104 gsm), 8.5×11, (216×279) 100-sheet package $35.99HUGE price difference. Has anyone used either of these label papers for bookplates or wine labels by chance?

Kseniya Thomas
    Keymaster
    @kseniya
    14 years, 3 months ago

You’re right–Strathmore is a part of Mohawk. I’ve used both, and I don’t think there’s much of a difference once they’re printed. Strathmore writing has at least 25% cotton content, so is pricier but also prettier.

Emily Johnson
    Participant
    @emilyjohnson1
    14 years ago

I have been searching for a solution to this same problem. I found a great posting a few months ago on the Studio on Fire blog mentioning the Strathmore label paper. I ordered some samples and feel like it is a good option, though the kiss-cut will be a new challenge for me.That said, I’m working on a label for a small bottle of gourmet vinegar now and would like to have a more handmade paper look with a natural deckle edge, and so have been looking into using cold adhesive films. I founds some options here and here and I am sure there are others. Sounds like you might have some experience with this type of product using your xyron? Thoughts?I’d love to hear what you end up using, and how it works out!

allison bozeman
    Participant
    @allisonbozeman
    14 years ago

love the Xyron, but it is only good for quantities under 250 I think. I still haven’t tried the strathmore label. it’s on the list!

Laura Shore
    Participant
    @laurashore
    14 years ago

I work for Mohawk and we do have pressure-sensitive label stock in Strathmore and Superfine. It was originally developed for address labels on premium letterhead/identity programs. You can purchase small quantities now on mohawkpaperstore.com. We are also working with Fasson to introduce Superfine Wine Label. It will be awhile before it’s generally available, but it will print flexo, offset, HP Indigo, and letterpress. A pretty amazing product. I’ll keep you posted.As far as the difference between Strathmore and Superfine, it’s really a matter of taste and touch. Strathmore has 25% cotton, which gives it a certain snappy quality. Superfine is premium sulphite and very soft. For me it’s like choosing between children! Of the two, Superfine is less expensive. But in small quantities that’s often not a big concern.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.